Tuesday 4 October 2016

Primary Research & Poster.

Primary Research


In the lesson we went out and gathered pictures of existing film posters, we then created a table in which contained primary research. This research included going into some depth about two posters of my choice, discussing the fonts, colours, style, constituent elements etc. By doing this primary research it allowed me to think about all the elements that are included in a poster, and if I were to produce a poster what factors I would consider. 
     We were then set the task to produce our own poster however we wanted, being sure to include the elements that were discussed in the table. My poster was 'Star Wars Rouge One' so I researched some existing images that are related to the film to gain inspiration, I consequently came up with my poster. I wanted to include a star-like background so I decided to add some layers and change the levels. To create this effect I added a layer for the background and filled it black, on top of this I added the effect of Noise and changed the amount. Lastly a layer of Blur needed to be added to achieve the more grainy, star effect. On reflection this was something I had not done before so I wanted to try and create my own background instead of drag one from google images, I think it turned out okay, however there was more detail too it than I initially thought.

    
From the primary research table I created I wanted to include the title of the film and have it quite large because when looking at other posters I was more drawn in to those with larger titles and those that aren't as crowded and busy. As well as keeping the poster simple I wanted to also include the blue beam of light/star because this added some colour and made the poster 'pop'.
   In contrast to this I could have included more things on my poster such as production details and other information like in the Blair Witch poster I reviewed (quotes, stars...)

         Reflecting on this research and my poster, for the next one I would like to include things such as the release dates, and perhaps quotes about the films as this will made the target audience more drawn to the poster especially those that are older as they will be interested in the reviews. For the Star Wars poster I decided to use the already existing title / font, although I do think it would be interesting to completely make a new font for the film, on the other hand by using the already existing title and font, the audience are immediately drawn to the poster because of being familiar with the existing title and by changing it, it may not be as easily recognisable.



No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP Showcase.

To complete this year (and the previous year) off we held a showcase in the Apex Hotel in Bath. This finished off the final part of my FMP a...