Monday 19 March 2018

Cosmetic Packaging To Order.

Ordering Cosmetic Packaging
 When it comes to the production of my packaging I wanted to explore the different options, which are...

  • Making box net on Illustrate then import into InDesign 
  • Print and stick to cardboard 
  • Print on laser cutter 
  • Produce visuals online & send off to professionally print
  • Order plain boxes online, print and stick
The issues I have when it comes to printing at home or at college is that I won't be able to achieve the foils and inks that I wanted to print and having the more 3d effect when printed. I decided to research companies that produce custom made boxes, much like my last FMP researching places to get my magazine printed as I wanted a more professional look to it.
 So I googled UK online companies that sell and manufacture custom made boxes, however a hurdle I came across quite early on is that a lot of companies require high quantities to order, something I don't have the money or need for as it is just the packaging I need to have a final product. I came across three sites initially and got some quotations, one more specific and included pricing whilst the other two needed images and a lot more information that I don't yet have.
 Firstly I found 'Custom Boxes Co' (here), this website was full of a lot of information and things I need to consider, but hadn't really come across yet as the physical side to production hasn't come into place yet. The first thing I saw when I clicked on 'Lip Stick / Gloss Packaging' was this image that displayed the paper type, printing specifications, special effects and more:


 The next thing on their site was the shapes of boxes, which is of course something I had thought about, however not into such detail. Below is a small screenshot of the available box types, this is something that when it comes to sketching and illustrating I will look into deeply, however as it currently stands I don't want a window in my box!
 So what I decided to do was get a quotation, just to see a rough price guide line and below is the response I received.


When I have more specific dimensions and designs I will put in another quotation with the information that is more precise, however the screenshots below show me some of the printing options below which is what I want to experiment with!


 Next I looked into 'Go Custom Boxes' (here) that had a similar website to the first one, needing measurements and examples of printing.
The quotation I received for this company included exactly what I needed, prices. As seen in the screenshot below the quantities are too high and so are the prices, which is why I now need to re think my printing idea, or just keep searching online and perhaps locally in Southgate for potential options for printing. 

  Thirdly I found the site 'ABC Packaging' (here), they did similar packaging to the other two sites, however didn't specify in cosmetic boxing in the depth I would be looking for. However despite the lack of images and information I decided to still get a quotation to see what they had to offer, as the other two sites there was no mention of pricing what so ever. 
 This email alone shows me that I will not be pursing or continuing ahead with these websites, I don't need anywhere near 1000 units, nor can afford to fund them! When it comes to my final major project I really want to produce a physical product to show, however the whole idea is digitally advertising my brand and it's packaging so if I can't execute the physical packaging to the quality I aspire I don't want to be too disappointed. If I have prototypes, models, digital versions from all angles I think that would be more than enough. Saying this I will continue to search for website and potential places where I could print perhaps 10 units in total so I have a couple of each product to display.

Things I will apply from this to my final product...

  • Professionally printing my cosmetic packaging may not be the easiest, best use of time and money, I will focus more so on the digital side of the project after receiving these quotes.
  • I will consider the type of box itself, I now know that I do not want any type of 'window' in my box for example, I want to keep it simple and plain so that the key element is the design of the packaging and the way it is sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP Showcase.

To complete this year (and the previous year) off we held a showcase in the Apex Hotel in Bath. This finished off the final part of my FMP a...