Thursday 15 March 2018

Weekly Reflection & Augmented Reality.

12th March
 Since exploring my ideas and presenting them (as seen in previous blogs) I have began my primary and secondary research. Although I had stated exactly what I wanted to explore in my presentation and my statement of intent, I decided to go ahead and produce separate Google Documents honing in on exactly what I wanted to create in order to gather the correct amount of research full of quality. This list I devised was more so of myself, so that I could highlight what I have done and what is in progress, so that I didn't go off track with distractions. Below I screenshot my secondary research ideas, as I began with my secondary first. 
 Once this had been produced and assignment one had been signed off I started to research internet articles on the most popular cosmetic brands in the UK. The reason I decided to begin with this was so that I had a clear vision of what people in the UK buy and rely on, I could then focus my questionnaires to people whom shop in those particular beauty shops.

   After producing this research I then created a Google Form that would be aimed at Females ages 18-25. In the survey I ensured to ask questions regarding current makeup brands (high end and high street), price ranges, qualities they look for in packaging and more. This was an initial, introductory survey that I thought I would create and from here I would be able to create more focused questionnaires on specific things when I produce visuals. For example the next questionnaire I will produce will include colour palettes, examples of packaging (heat foiling, metallic finishes) the physical product and the designs on the packaging and the product itself and more.
 Below are a few screenshots of selected questions:


Once I have received a large amount of responses I can then look into the most popular brands in my local area, where they purchase them (is there any need for a website for example) and the physical products they actually use so that when I produce my 3-5 products I create something everyone uses.

 Along side my Top 10 Brand analysis blog post (here) and my questionnaire (here) I have also been keeping and eye out on my social media, things have been popping up that have relevance to my project that I thought I would insert here. For example the first thing I saw was on Instagram Stories, posted by Kendall Jenner was:
 This is a screenshot of what she ha been sent by Adidas, it shows a box which I assume shoes come in, however when she's getting up her iPhone camera (with what looks like to be an app) the shoe in side appears above it, using Augmented Reality. This is the exact thing I wanted to experiment with as I think this would be really interesting to use with makeup! I then tried to find what Adidas where doing with this product /AR and couldn't find any related articles, however I found a very similar one with Nike and how they decided to introduce AR to purchase shoes and try to eliminate robots buying these limited shoes and selling them on, this can be found here


 The next thing I came across was an advert for me on Facebook where it showed ASOS advertising the fact MAC is coming to their site soon, which sparked interest to me because as mentioned previously, a part of my secondary research does consist of looking at website and partners that distribute certain makeup brands, such as Mac Cosmetics. Does this mean ASOS is the site that people use to regularly and rely on it so heavily that MAC have partnered up with them to sell even more products than now? This is something I will certainly get back to later on in my research.

Brief research...
 Once all of the above had been research I decided before finding another internet article regarding current competitors, or producing my infographic I would look into purchasing and ordering cosmetic boxes online. When discussing the practicality of my idea with my lecturer we spoke about printing and producing the actual product. I wanted to do it similar to my last FMP where I design everything on Adobe illustration / indesign / photoshop, then send it off to be physically made. Information regarding this process can be found in this blog here

Conclusion
 To conclude, this week I have managed to produce one internet article research document on the top 10 beauty products in the UK, produced a questionnaire and also briefly looked into purchasing and ordering cosmetic boxes. This has been a good start to my research and I hope to continue to push myself to get the best product done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP Showcase.

To complete this year (and the previous year) off we held a showcase in the Apex Hotel in Bath. This finished off the final part of my FMP a...