Friday 31 March 2017

Flat Lay Sketch.

Plan

 The next step in the process of creating my magazine was to produce a flat lay out and overall sketch of what they pages will look like and what I intend to have on the individual pages. To do this I wrote down what I wanted to include (in regards to images and articles) and then went and did further secondary research on layout of magazines. This time around I didn't look at recognisable brands and magazines, I found a website online named Issuu where users can publish their magazines to view online. This was really good as it was easy to access and I could filter the type son magazines that inspired me. From doing this research I found out that the layout I want to go for seems to be popular, which means it is good as it will then be popular, however not necessarily make it unique and stand out from the crown, never the less I believe it is something I really want to create and shall therefore do so. I have inserted a few screen shots of the layout I really like and took inspiration from: 

This is from the inside of a magazine which had a variety of articles, ranging from fashion to food.

This really drew me in as I like the border around the image on the left hand page, this is something I am coming to do myself so thought it was relevant.





This is really interesting as the layering of images as well as lighting is really something I am inspired by
   

Lastly I liked the overlapping of these, this is something I aim to do myself.



  By undertaking this secondary research, even though the larger main portion was completed I was able to get even more inspiration and image ideas that allowed my layout to progress and turn into something I really like the look of myself. Throughout this project my research will continue to happen and it is something I will continue to blog as already I can see the progress my project is making by the amount of research I have conducted. It has had a positive effect on my project as it means I am able to see how my product will turn out, I want to make it something good and that I am happy and pleased with!

 So after that brief research I was able to sketch out my own flat lay of what I aim my magazine to look like, I am highly aware this might however change as I progress through the project and write the articles, this is just a brief and initial sketch!




I ensured to include my three articles which are 'Get the look', 'High end vs high street' and lastly a 'May' dedicated double page where I will add photographs and review the trends and possible trends, comparing to celebrities, shops and more. I intend to include a variety and collection of pictures in my magazine, some larger to ensure I keep up with the minimalistic idea, and then others where I will have multiple on one page, surrounded by boarders, quotes etc. That way it differentiates my magazine from a 'photography' magazine to one that is still very highly fashion based, much like the 'Love' magazines.
 In my flat lay I have three- double pages (not including front or back) in which are just images. Then the rest of the pages include the articles. Although this is just a rough plan this took me a lot of time to think through and put together, I needed to make sure the placement of the articles are spread out and even with the amount of photographs. In addition to this I didn't want to keep it 'traditional' so many pages overlap with images, I intend to change the titles and placement of them as well, so that every page is unique and different!

 By completing this exercise it enabled me to think about my layout, placement and arrangement. I was able to look and think about how many images (roughly) I will need when I do my photoshoot, as well as how much time in production it will take up. By doing this plan in the pre production stages it enables me to gain more time in the production process, this being that if I already have a rough idea of where everything will be places, I can set up a mock/draft version in which I can then later use when it comes to the making of my magazine. In addition to this flat lay, I will also be writing my articles up soon, this means that in the time off (easter) I will be able to thoroughly edit and make sure I have all the pieces I need to produce the magazine together, so that when we return I can put it all into InDesign. This means as well that I should be on track according to the spread sheet I produces for Production and Post Production, meaning my estimated time management skills are good!  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP Showcase.

To complete this year (and the previous year) off we held a showcase in the Apex Hotel in Bath. This finished off the final part of my FMP a...