Friday 3 November 2017

Business Of Publishing.

Project
For this business project I decided to produce a line of phone cases in which would be marketed in stores and online, in retailers such as Etsy, New Look etc. Once I created my idea I needed to look into my target audience, where they shop, what phones they own and their income.
 Firstly I looked into the retailers where I could potentially sell my products, coming up with :

  • Tiger
  • Urban Outfitters
  • New Look
  • Etsy
These retailers currently sell phone cases online and in stores, consequently being appropriate, not just for stock reasons, but appropriate for the target market as these are the types of shops that young adults ages 18-30, shop in.
 I wanted to aim my project at young adults because they are the ones that will typically want to 'invest' in something like an accessory for their phone. Once I had decided to create a phone case I needed to research into what brand I use. Personally I first was drawn to iphone cases, so I researched into them before continuing.
Left is a graph in which shows the sales/popularity of the different brands of phones. iphone's taking the lead as anticipated, therefore solidly confirming my choice of brand to create cases for!







Prices
Urban Outfitters
 In regards to selling prices I needed to consider the production and also compare to the prices they sell for currently, to ensure I don't sell them for too much or too little. Currently on the site Urban Outfitters, iphone cases similar to the patterns I want to create, sell for around £16-£20.


New Look

The market for new look cases online were very limited in comparison to urban outfitters as only two showed up. However the prices were considerably lower, around £5.99 for essentially the same thing. This is something to keep in mind as perhaps the market for iphone cases in new look isn't as large as I had anticipated.

Etsy
 Above shows the range in Etsy, there is a large number of cases with a large number of variety in regards to design and price range. Some ranging from £11.99 - £30. This is a larger market for the product itself, however the price rangers are alot higher, some cheaper then urban outfitters but on the whole, more expensive.




No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP Showcase.

To complete this year (and the previous year) off we held a showcase in the Apex Hotel in Bath. This finished off the final part of my FMP a...