Monday 16 April 2018

Weekly Reflection.

Visuals
 As I head into one of the most crucial stages of FMP I am now beginning to start up photoshop to put together some visuals, where that be secondary research or my own designs! Since the last blog I have undertaken a large number of projects and tasks to finish of the research segment of the brief so that I can begin my creating!
 When it came to these blogs I found myself becoming more motivated that I previously was, although the thought of the project coming to an end in just over three weeks most definitely worries you a bit! In a discussion today I was asked whether I'm on track, how I'm feeling, and all the typical questions when a deadline is looming. Although I think i'm slightly overwhelmed by the amount of work I set myself out for I am looking forward to it in a strange way. I'd say at this current point my only real concerns are when producing my digital versions of the products they may look poorly done, perhaps when being assessed they may not take into account the actuality of professional printing cosmetic packaging etc. My thoughts for this (as I've said before) were to still produce some high quality mock-ups of my designs, and to do so I initially requested some samples from two separate businesses quoting to "be more than happy to" wishing 3-5 working days. As I imagined these haven't yet turned up, even though ordered 2 weeks back, so at this point my mock ups may not be my ideal way of presenting my work, but I hope that they take everything into consideration and that my digital versions will override (after all that is what I am aiming to do!)

 So I firstly collected some products of my own, along will going onto YouTube to look at appropriate videos and seeing the types of advertisements come up, the way they do it and for what brands! I have inserted some screenshots of the work I have done however to go into detail it is best going back a few blog posts to read them!





 Products open and products in their packaging, I wanted to investigate if all packaging really reflects the product inside, and what I should take into consideration!

 The next few steps I decided to take were vital for this project, I looked into the advertising portion of the project along with websites that sell makeup and how! This for me was one of the most interesting parts I have completed so far. I was able to physically look at how certain brands want to market themselves, and at what cost.


I wanted to annotate screenshots on YouTube videos and what perhaps effects the adverts I get, and then what the advertisers themselves want to get out of it!

 Many blog posts later, delving into the world of where to buy makeup was almost like opening a can of worms. Ironically I enjoyed this however, it opened my eyes up to all the potential paths I could next take and research into in order to get my brand going and really attract my demographic. So once I had finally wrapped up my research and reflected upon all of it and how that effects the rest of my FMP journey, it was time to produce some actual good quality visuals!
 The experimentation part of this brief is so important, like last year. I vividly remember myself when creating the magazine and producing so many different pages, altering the layout, text, image type, font and more till I found the perfect combination for me. Much like last year I did the same, but with something I little bit more fun and creative. I have inserted some screenshots of the mock ups I initially done, this will be interesting to look back and reflect on once  have finished my project!






 I feel as though this year although the marking scheme has been raised and it is harder to get a good mark, I have raised my own expectation of myself. I think I had so many ideas when it came to this project that I could just keep doing it and advertising it in so many different ways! I have given myself a lot of work in comparison to last year, and even though it's 'quality not quantity' I thought that I would push myself in all areas. I don't want to produce a million things, I wanted to try and produce different things to really show my skills and creativity, to show that I fully understand and comprehend the importance of a target audience. With a website, bus shelter poster and digital advertisement places on youtube (a mock up of course) I think it shows that I have taken into consideration a lot of things such as...

  • Website- 30% of my demographic buy all of their makeup online, it shows that I can adapt to my surroundings and try to cater for every individual in the demographic 
  • Bus Shelter Poster- The majority of my demographic attend school, college or full time work, traveling to and from their destinations. It is clear to me how many people take public transport, so by subtly placing an advertisement on a bus shelter I think it is better than if I were to just 'stick it in a window at boots/superdrug'
  • Digital Advertisement- I have used some primary research I completed last year on LJ Hugs which was all about social media *infographic below*, nearly 100% of my demographic use social media and most importantly YouTube is used and it the most important to 55%. This appropriately links my demographic this time round. They are exposed the YouTube advertisements more so than a TV advertisement, it is effective and appropriate which is why I decided to do it!


Conclusions
 As I head into assignment three further, I have been on a bit of a rollercoaster and battle with time and motivation. I can say however that as I get into the more creative and hands on side to the project my priority currently is to complete these products and get a website ands poster up and running. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP Showcase.

To complete this year (and the previous year) off we held a showcase in the Apex Hotel in Bath. This finished off the final part of my FMP a...