Monday 16 April 2018

Design Experimentation Part 2.

Logo
 In regards to my logo I don't believe I have discussed my ideas for the whole branding situation. When coming up with a brand I don't want that to be the main focus of my project, I thought about names and ideas, however I thought I would just keep it personal to me. So my brand is going be self titled 'McQuaid' (creative, I know). This may seem non-creative or an easy way out, however a lot of makeup brands are names of the designers, and of course not just makeup, clothing and fashion brands are often names around the founders and designers. Wha I can do is use my creativity when it comes to the shades and designing of course. Below I have produced a collage where I have taken images curtsey of Pinterest  and produced what I discussed in my last blog regarding experimentation (clipping masks).
 I have already chosen my font for my logo (Stardust Adventure, DaFont) after much deliberation of having it hand drawn. I initially wanted my logo to be my name hand drawn, however I have produced many attempts using my Wacom tablet and pen, I don't think I would ever be happy enough with it, even if scanned in and done by pen and paper as my handwriting isn't to the standard I would want printed on products!



 Upon reviewing my colour scheme of primarily pastel colours along with the green use of plants and perhaps some foil, I soon realised upon layering them all together it was to much. I might focus some of the colour on my logo, then on the rest of the packaging have some shapes using the foil to keep it minimalistic. In the collage you can see my attempts using clipping masks on images ranging from water, to smoke. I likes the 'inconsistency' of using this method with an image, I think it makes it more 3D and more aesthetically pleasing as opposed to a flat 'pink' colour for example. My favourite ones were the lighter reflective looking ones, these would look really nice with some pastel / rose gold shapes, so I decided to mock up some as seen below.


Step One for the mock up. 



Step Two, inserted some pastel coloured shapes.


Step Three consisted of attempting to incorporate the leaves into the packaging itself. 


Step Four, adding the name of the product and colour in the triangle, this was the last step I decided to do before creating a mock up.



Step Five, creating a rough net to construct when printed.

 I decided that I would stick with the design I tried firstly so that I was able to physically see what worked and what didn't, from this I can then improve my designs, something I think will take a lot of trial and error in order to get the perfect mix of everything! Below you can see my constructed box for the lipstick. 


  In regards to measurements, they weren't perfect (as expected). The main reason for this being that when I was producing the mock up on Photoshop I didn't think that would be the one I would trial and print, therefore didn't stick by specific measurements, however it still worked, it was just slightly larger than I would ideally like, of course this is something I will easily rectify in my next design. I then decided to photograph the stages of putting it together, and then photographed my box next to a current lipstick box, you can see the size difference and quality of course differs, however this is all something I can now work to improve for my next deigns.
 Designs
When it comes to my designs I have previously discussed the colour palette and overall aesthetic, in my designs above I quite liked the use of the brush I used, almost watercolour looking (easier to see on the screenshots) along with my logo, however I think if I were to incorporate some holographic into my products it would really make them stand out. 

Here I made a clipping mask of the green leaves I wanted to incorporate, this was I can usr them and they can meet the colour palette better, and it will also look nice when put with the green ones on the poster, I think it will link everything in nicely.












I ensured that I made this mock up for the liquid lipstick to be the correct measurements I want, those being 2cm wide and 9cm tall.












Here I have put together my logo and also inserted the shapes, the use of holographic is nice but I think it's a little too much here.


















 Referring back to my demographic and their priorities when it comes to packaging I decided to try make it more simplistic, by having the packaging a darker colour to allow the holographic text and images stand out, below you can see where I experimented adding noise, thicker markers and more.






 Once I had produced these I made a variety of colours in order to have a large variety to physically see, from this I then decided I would produce a questionnaire in order to get a few opinions on my designs before I go ahead and produce all of the packaging for all three products.

Conclusion
 After producing these mock up designs for the liquid lipsticks it has allowed me to be creative and also test my ability to be constantly changing my ideas to try and adhere to all different opinions and preferences for cosmetic packaging. This process was fun and I found myself constantly finding things I could alter and try and better. When it comes to the time scale of this project I think that producing all the things I want to within the three weeks left will be a push, however most definitely doable, as the above designs took me about an hour or so to produce, that included finding the backgrounds at the perfect size and creating the box to be the correct dimensions.

Things I will apply from this to my final product...
  • As I am reaching a state of my FMP where the final products are underway I am of course still applying all of the new information and techniques I pick up along the way. For this particular post I think that the holographic, mixed with the simplicity of shapes and my logo could work really effectively together. I know I will apply these tests to my final product and I am very glad I have produced them as it has only inspired me further!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP Showcase.

To complete this year (and the previous year) off we held a showcase in the Apex Hotel in Bath. This finished off the final part of my FMP a...