Friday 13 April 2018

Screen Printing.

Industry Visit
Today we all went to an industry visit for a screen printing company/ studio just outside of Bath. This could be added to part of my primary research, however I didn't find that the trip was as relevant to my and my project as it would be to others, despite this it was a good way to look into how some companies design and print their work.
 The first section of the trip we looked through some examples of work that Otto had produced himself, ranging from large books with printed, to smaller ones with text, all of which hd interesting concepts. We then looked at how they actually get designs to the screen printing, this was done on photoshop and was a little confusing for someone who has never done it before!

 Later on we were able to use the machines for ourselves and collectively produce some prints in Red, Blue and Green as seen below. This was done using a squeegee and a large machine where the ink would be spread across. The whole process was a very time consuming matter, however everything was of course hand printed, so not every print and design was the exact same which is something I really liked as it makes the individuals books all the more interesting and special to the owner!















 Conclusion
 To conclude, this trip was an overall learning experience and was somewhat hands on. Being able to see the process along with prints they have produced was inspiring for me to begin my creating process, it allowed me to look at potential options if I wasn't creating makeup products and also is fun to learn and do. I think it isn't necessarily something I would just to do again, but like I said I think the behind the scenes of it all was interesting, for example I didn't know photoshop would be used for something like this! I had previously done some screen printing - to a much smaller scale- back in secondary school, however we did that freehand and designed out own prints, so it gave me a bit more motivation, where as I think printing someone else' (very good) prints wasn't as satisfying as at then end of the day I didn't really create it myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP Showcase.

To complete this year (and the previous year) off we held a showcase in the Apex Hotel in Bath. This finished off the final part of my FMP a...