Tuesday 3 April 2018

Mood Boards - Existing Products & Packaging.

Product Packaging
 This next mood board I produced consisted of the makeup products I own and have kept the packaging for. I decided that when it came to this section of my research I wanted to create a collage based on the products I had bought and can physically see and feel the packaging for, making it clearer in my sketchbook for texture purposes. I looked at a variety of products, ranging from primarily eye shadow palettes, to lipstick and power packaging. The reason I specifically chose the items below was for the variety in texture and colour they have on their packaging. I can see gold foils, chrome finishes and 3D printed letters, then a more simple design for the NARS foundation with a matte box and white plain writing, keeping it very simplistic which was good to keep into consideration as simplicity and colour palette were the top two most important features according to my demographic. The first collage was to be kept as simple as I could keep it, as a more textured and 3D version is available in my sketchbook. Something I found really interesting was of course that the outer packaging to all the products I own, match the packaging of the physical product inside, however varying materials as you will be able to see in my second college. For example the Modern Renaissance eye shadow palette gives a cardboard exterior, then the actual palette itself comes in a velvet dusty pink box, then within that you have the eyeshadows, all of which relate to the chosen colour palette of 'neutral and berry tones'. for me when it comes to physical inspiration for colour palettes and brands I think Anastasia Beverly Hills is one of my main creative inspirations, I like the materials they use and also the colour tones of each individual product, the quality feels amazing and the outside packaging and advertising really does reflect and match the product inside.

As you can see all of the products packaging include some sort of embellishment of ink, and also involve a lot of rose gold/ gold somewhere on the packaging. I personally hadn't noticed this about all of my products but after this exercise I decided to look into the reasoning for this and came across this interesting internet article that explains the latest trend and the reason behind it. The title of the article is 'Metals and Metallics Are Trending'1 and Mike Warford (director of sales at ABA Packaging cooperation) says that "Metal and metal effects for primary packaging give the perception of high value and luxury product" However it is not just used for makeup, but skincare and fragrance too, sporting a metal cap and clear glass bottle. David Greco who is the vice president of sales added that "we have been getting many requests for metal, especially for lipstick cases and compacts"
 This is really useful information for me as I did already know I wanted to add one foiling and rose gold onto my packaging, however knowing the theoretical reason behind this being a popular print it now encourages me to continue with my idea, as it backs up my thinking for products that include this in their packaging tend to be more popular and aesthetically pleasing!

 Now below I constructed one more college using photoshop to briefly show what the products themselves look look once taken out of the packaging as seen above! This was something I wanted to do so that I can show the ouster packing reflects the product inside and why it is so important to keep designs consistent, through adverts, to the packaging, to the product!





Something that was very clear for me was that the packing did intact reflect ht product inside, however not all the time. For example the Kat Von D eye shadow palette had a very dull outer packaging and very dark muted colours within, however there was also an orange and red shade that one would hot necessarily expect if you didn't know what was inside! Then on the other hand you have the ABH Glow Kit, with a body of chrome packaging that shines and changes colour depending on the light, the product inside reflects this completely, coming with all shades of glitter and holographic like highlight shades within, something you would expect from the packaging! Saying this however it isn't necessarily expected of the brand to have the packaging match exactly what is inside, maybe it gives it all away, or sometimes the packaging can override the product inside, leaving you with disappointment, as you expect so much of it inside and it lets you down.

 After producing these sets of collages using my own products and the materials and colour palettes they use, along with comparing them I have been able to see what appeals to me and also what my audience mean when they say they think colour palette and minimalism is priority for packaging. However I do think these two are almost opposites, how does one use vibrant and aesthetically pleasing colours to attract customers and reflect the product within, whilst still ensuring it is minimalistic and doesn't give too much away or distract you from the product inside.

Things I will apply from this to my final product...
  • The use of metallic/holographic is definitely something I will incorporate into my designs, I think the way they look and feel gives off such a nice vibe and sets your expectations for the quality product inside, something I wish to aim and strive towards.



1: https://www.beautypackaging.com/issues/2015-04-01/view_features/metals-and-metallics-are-trending/42055

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP Showcase.

To complete this year (and the previous year) off we held a showcase in the Apex Hotel in Bath. This finished off the final part of my FMP a...